Download a pdf version of the CV here.
A visual artist, fashion designer, poet and an independent curator
B 43 Trinity Towers DLF Phase 5, Golf Course Road, Gurgaon 122002 Haryana, India
Cell: 91 9582252062 : 0124 4000154 : firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Birth: 1957, Rohtak, Haryana India
Lives in New Delhi and Gurgaon, India
1995 F D C T National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi, India.
1980 M.A English Literature, Punjab University, Chandigarh, India.
1978 B.A English Literature with Fine Arts, Punjab University, Chandigarh, India.
Areas of Specialization
Contemporary visual art, History of traditional textiles, Garment designing & documentation of period textiles, Studio Arts (painting, drawing, printing, dyeing), writing on Art and fashions, Installation Art
Salt: The Great March 2013-15 Solo
- 2015 Salt: The Great March, Azad Bhavan Gallery, Indian Council of Cultural Relations ICCR, New Delhi
- 2014 Salt: The Great March, The Museum Dakshin Chitra, Chennai, India
- 2014 Salt: The Great March, IIC India International Centre New Delhi, India
- 2013 Salt: The Great March,IGNCA Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts New Delhi (2013)
Indigo: New works by Shelly Jyoti & Laura Kina (Two women show)
- 2014 Indigo: New works by Shelly Jyoti & Laura Kina, Gandhi Memorial Centre, Washington DC USA
- 2013 Indigo: New works by Shelly Jyoti & Laura Kina, Chicago Cultural Centre Chicago IL, USA
- 2011 Indigo: New works by Shelly Jyoti & Laura Kina, Diana Lowenstein Gallery Miami FL, USA
- 2011 Indigo: New works by Shelly Jyoti & Laura Kina, ArtXchange Gallery Seattle WA, USA
- 2010 Indigo: New works by Shelly Jyoti & Laura Kina, Nehru Centre, Worli, Mumbai
- 2009 Indigo: New works by Shelly Jyoti & Laura Kina, Palm Court Gallery, India Habitat Centre New Delhi
- 2009 Indigo: New works by Shelly Jyoti & Laura Kina, ABS RedEarth Art Gallery Baroda
Beyond Mithila: Exploring the Decorative 2008-12 Solo
- 2010 Beyond Mithila: Exploring the Decorative, Taj Palace, New Delhi.
- 2009 Beyond Mithila: Exploring the Decorative, Palm Court Gallery,
- India, Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- 2008 Beyond Mithila: Exploring the Decorative, Woman Made Gallery
- Beyond Mithila: Exploring the Decorative, Jamaat Art Gallery, Mumbai.
2008 Lyrical Abstraction: A Space for Abstraction & Muses, Solo
- 2007 Lyrical Abstraction: A room of /for muses works on canvas,
- Experimental Art Gallery, India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- 2008 Sristhi Art Gallery Welcome Hotel, Baroda.
2005 Pastels, Inks, Drawings -Works on Paper , Solo
- ICC Milpitas, California.
- 2004 Pastels, Inks, Drawings -Works on Paper , Welcome Art Gallery, Baroda.
2003 Ethnicity and Symbols , Solo
- Ethnicity and Symbols, American India Foundation, AIF , California. USA
- Ethnicity and Symbols , Indiana University, South Bend Indiana.
1999-00 Woman of the New Millennium, Solo
- Shristi Art Gallery, Baroda.
Select Group Exhibitions
2013 CARE Package
- India International Centre,40, Max Mueller Marg, New Delhi – 110003
- 2012 CARE Package,Twelve Gate, Philadelphia,PA,Curator: Ombretta Agro.
- United Art Fair, New Delhi
- 20th Anniversary Exhibition : 20 Jurors Woman Made Gallery Chicago.
- 2010 13th International Open, Woman Made Gallery, Chicago IL. Curator: Laura Kina.
- Logged, Emami Chisel Art Calcutta, India. Curator: Amit Mukhopadhya.
- Art Fusion, Nehru Centre, Mumbai. Curator: Nina Rege.
- Natures Fury@20×12 (Curatorial Digital Project), Jahangir Art Gallery, Mumbai.
- 2009 Women Imaging Women: A Study of Female Portraiture, Robert Morris University, Chicago. Curator: Amy Galpin.
- 2007 The Spirit of India, Singapore. Curator: Anu Aggarwal.
- Line and Form, The Mahua Art Gallery, and Bangalore.
- Cynosure Lanxes, ABS Art Gallery, Baroda, Gujarat.
- 2006 Creative Fantasy, The Mahua Art Gallery, Bangalore. Elle Decor Art & Design Show, New Delhi. Curator: Dr. Alka Pande.
- Here Comes the Bride, Woman Made Gallery, Chicago, Illinois. Curator: Beate Minkovski.
- 2004 Print Making, Chaap, Baroda.
- 2003 Women, Trauma and Visual Expression, Woman Made Gallery, Chicago, Illinois.
- 2002 Nature’s Fury, (curatorial project) Digital artwork, Srishti Art Gallery.
- Voices against Violence, Fine Arts Faculty, Baroda.
- 2001 Earthquake Relief Art Benefit, Fine Arts Faculty, Baroda.
- Earthquake Relief Art Benefit, Artcore Gallery, Baroda.
Select Curatorial Projects:
- Indian council of cultural relations (ICCR project_
2012 ‘Splendid Textiles of India’ for ASEAN countries.
Authored the published catalog ‘VASTRAM’ by ICCR
- 2013 Indira Gandhi National Centre for Arts IGNCA, New Delhi
- 2012 Indian Council of Cultural Relations- ICCR ‘Indigo Project International’
- 2010 Grant for curatorial project ’Natures Fury’ by Gujarat Sports & Culture Ministry.
- 2009 Grant for “Indigo Narrative” project by Gujarat Lalit kala Academy. 2004 “Artist of Eminence” by Baroda Management Association, Baroda.
- 1994 Best Traditional Craft Design Collection Award, NIFT New Delhi.
Publications –Authored Articles/Poetry/ Published Artwork
- 2015 Ajrakh – Celebrating Textile traditons by Shelly jyoti – ITC magazine ‘Namaste’-Jodhpur issue
- 2012-Authored the published catalog by Indian Council of cultural relations
- ‘Vastram; Splendid Textiles of India’
- 2012 ‘The Quilters’ Spring 2012- Brinda Gill
- Published article on ‘Indigo Narratives’ series Jyoti, shelly
- ‘Sahitya Akedmi’ Indian English literature ( IL268- March April 2012 edition LV1 NO2)-Published art work. Jyoti ,shelly
- ‘Shringara’ by Dr Alka Pande-Published art work. Jyoti ,shelly
- Socleen journal-‘Genetically modified crops’ Published artwork.
- 2010 Jyoti, Shelly. Authored article ‘Art & Couture: The Collaborations.’ ArtETCMagazine.
- Vol.9 Jyoti shelly(Visual Arts Publications IHC, New Delhi, 2010). Jyoti, Shelly. Socleen Journal ‘Green Houses’ 2010. Published artwork.
- 2009 Jyoti, Shelly. Socleen Annual Journal ‘Global Warming’. Published artwork.
- 2008 Jyoti, Shelly. The Alchemist.(Institute of General Semantics, Texas USA) Cover image.Published Art work.
- 2007 Jyoti, Shelly. Spring Magazine. (St. Xavier University, Chicago) Cover image.Published Art work.Jyoti, Shelly.
- Sahitya Akademi. IL238. 2007. Poetry and Published Artwork.
- 2002 Jyoti, Shelly, Raja Ravi verma . “Fusion of Art and Design.” Times of India.Published article.
Artist Lectures /Conferences /Workshops
- 2014 Salt-A colonial Metaphor: Relavence today-Verbal , Visual and New Media Art by Shelly Jyoti,17th International Conference, Forum for Contemporary Theory Goa
- 2014 Invoking history and celebrating the subaltern by Shelly Jyoti
- Apparao Art Gallery, Magnolias, DLF phase 5, Gurgaon, Haryana
- 2014Invoking history and celebrating the subaltern by Shelly Jyoti
- Apparao Art Gallery, Chennai
- 2014Salt- A Colonial Metaphor: Relevance today by Shelly Jyoti
- National Lalit kala Academy, Chennai(In collaboration with Dakshin Chitra Museum Chennai)
- 2014 Textile Installation in Contemporary Visual Space by shelly jyoti
- National Institute of Fashion Technology, Haus Khas, New Delhi
- 2014 Gallery walk by the Artist, Curator and Poet: India International Centre, The Art Gallery,Kamala Devi Complex, Gate no: 1, 40 Max Muller Marg, New Delhi 110003 India
- 2013‘Lincoln, Gandhi and Obama : A creative visual dialogue in Miniature painting style by Shelly JyotiAcademic paper, 31st Annual international ATWS conference,IIT Chennai
- 2013 Rebuilding: A Sense of Nationalism by An Artist talk by Shelly Jyoti
- Indira Gandhi National Centre of the Arts, New Delhi
- 2013 Quilting , Art history and Metaphor’ DePaul University students With Prof Jean Bryan Chicago Rooms, Chicago Cultural Center
- 2013 Public Lecture Artist talk- ‘Indigo:Shelly Jyoti & Laura kina’ Shelly Jyoti, Laura kina and Pushpika Frietas ,Chicago Rooms, Chicago Cultural Center
- 2013 Artist Talk-‘ Indigo: Shelly Jyoti & Laura kina’ Art Institute of Chicago, students with Prof Nora Taylor-
- Asian Art Now, Chicago Cultural Center
- 2013 Artist Talk: Art Institute of Chicago, Textile Society, Chicago Cultural Center
- 2012 ‘The Spendid Textiles of India :Trade| Cotton| Cloth’ Forum on Contemporary Theory ,XV International Conference Theme: ‘Media and Utopia: Imagination, History, Technology’ Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh India
- 2011Artist lecture & workshop ‘ Beyond Mithila Past & Present’ DePaul University, Chicago,IL
- 2011 Visiting artist talk “Transnational Artistic Collaboration: Shelly Jyoti and Laura Kina” Woman Made Gallery, Chicago, IL. Invited by Beate Minkovski, Director.
- 2009 Artist lecture The Politics of Indigo: Revisiting India’s Torrid Colonial Past, Centre for Contemporary Theory and General Semantics, Baroda.
- 2008 Artist lecture- Beyond Mithila Past & Present, University of Illinois, Chicago.
- 2006 Workshop Madhubani Traditional Art Form /Artist lecture Fashion Designing as a Career Opportunity, Vidya Vihar School, Baroda.
- 2005Workshop Apparel Designing: Methods & Trends, Dept. of Home Science, M.S. University, Baroda.
- 2004 Artist lecture Experience Sharing as a Women Artist and a Designer, Seminar on Women Force and Source, Baroda Management Association.
- 2003 Workshop Madhubani Traditional Art Form, Stanley Clarkes School, South Bend, Indiana.
- 2002 Design lecture Technology and Computation Accelerating the Speed and Growth In the Garment Industry, Forum for Contemporary Theory, Baroda.
- 1996 Designing Kids Wear from Concept to Consumer, six week programme design conducted for domestic market – NIFT New Delhi.
Jury & Related professional activity
- 2015: Jury for JUNK JUSTAPOSED The Times of India initiative- delhi chapter and National event
- 2015 Jury for fashion show organized by Deccan Herald, New Delhi
- 2014 : Jury and lectures at National Institute for Fashion Technology NIFT,
- New Delhi , India
- 2001 – 2005 Juror to fashion shows -National Institutes of Fashion Design, Baroda.
- 1994-2003 Designed, manufactured garments under my own label ‘SHELLY JYOTI’ domestic market. Freelance designer for export houses for American and European markets. Coordinated fashion related courses in Fashion Institutes in India.
- 1997 Designed & Painted the site Pre-nursery School, Delhi Public School East of Kailash New Delhi.
- 1983-1985 ‘Art studio for Creative Minds ‘ Pune Maharashtra. Set up creative workshops for adults.
- 1981-1983 Pre-nursery school ‘Little Angels Kindergarten School’ New Delhi.
Advisory Board Member
- Board Member-Special School & Centre for Autism -DISHA Baroda Gujarat-India.
- Board member- Society for Clean Environment- SOCLEEN Baroda Gujarat India.
- Woman Made Gallery, Chicago IL USA.
- Forum for Contemporary Theory Baroda, India.
- DAAN-The Diasporic Asian Art Network, New York.
- 2014 Doordarshan India News channel ,October 7, 2014
- The Hindu Metro plus,Chennai Textile Talk ,Oct4, 2014
- Indian Express, Chennai ,Weaving a Gandhian tale by Janani Sampath , oct 2 , 2014,The Hindu, Salt to taste, Shailja Tripathi, 19 Sept, 2014
- Hindustan Times, South city, Weaving the Old and the New, Garima Vohra Sept 18, 2014
- Jansatta ,khadi per ajrakh ki kala krityan, New Delhi, Dr Varsha Das , Sept 17, 2014
- Deccan chronicle, A Gandhian Soul in Art, Hyderabad, Dr.Seema Bawa Sept 11, 2014
- Indian express Salt of the Earth ,Vandana Kalra , Sept 9, 2014
- HT city, Bridging the Gap with Gandhi , Divya Rai , Sept, 2014
- The Asian Age, Back to the Roots ,Garima Nagpal,Sep 07, 2014
- Live Mint & Wall Street Journal- Interview with Chanpreet khurana,Sept 5, 2014
- Millennium Post, Salt of this Earth ,Correspondent Sept 2, 2014
- The Deccan Herald, Salt Story , sept 2, 2014
- Business standard Ajrakh:Artist captures traditional textile ‘s charm in show,31,August, 2014
- Archana Mishra ,Deccan Herald, Rekindling Nationalistic Feeling,3,Oct,2013
- Vandana kalra, Indian Express, Picking up the Threads ,30,Sept,2013 2013
- Madhur Tankha,The Hindu, Art with the Gandhian Twist.3,October, 2013
- The Hindu , 28, Sept, 2013
- Indira Gandhi national centre for the Arts Publication SALT: THE GREAT MARCH by Shelly Jyoti .Catalog.
- Prahar PTI ,Art inspired by Mahtama Gandhi’s Philosphy,4,Oct, 2013
- India TV ,Spinning yarns of khadi in Ajrakh prints, 31,Oct,2013
- Millennium post, Art with a touch of swadharma, 8, Oct, 2013
- Jyoti Anand , All India Radio , Road show 5, 10, 2013
- Poonam goel,Gandhi topia, 25, sept, 2013
- Pooja chaturvedi ,Live mint and The wall street journal,In Gandhi’s footstep 1, oct, 2013 l
- Vibha Sharma, Hindustan Times Gurgaon& New-Delhi, Recreating History on the Canvas, 26, September, 2013
- Vibha Sharma, Hindustan Times, Faridabad ,Historical events find Pride of place on her canvas, 30, Sept, 2013
- Matters of Art 15, October 2013
- Jyoti Mukul ,Business standard, Art inspired by Gandhi’s philosophy 1,Sept,2013
- Moushmi sharma , The Asian age , understanding human values through charkha 23,September,2013
- Vivacity, The pioneer, Weavers world, Divya kaushik, 17, September ,2013
- ‘Turkey Red Journal Nature’s gallery Shelly Jyoti & Laura Kina Volume 18 Issue 1 Spring 2013
- Coverage of “Indigo: Shelly Jyoti and Laura Kina” at the Chicago Cultural Center on “Community Roundup,” TV Asia(cable TV show), February 9, 2013.
- 2012 Curatorial essay Indian Council of Cultural Relation ICCR Publication,Published Catalogue November 2012
- Anita Jaiswal ‘A Fine Artist’ Friday Gurgaon November 9-15 2012
- ART INDIA reviews INDIGO works on a title ‘BLUE DYED GIRLS’ by Sandhya Bordewekar vol17,
- september 2012 edition SAHITYA AKADEMI Indian English literature, Artworks published- ( IL268- March April 2012 edition LV1 NO2)
- Woman Power:The Three Generations” 30×23 inches 2008 ‘Shringara’ – by Dr Alka Pande, Artworks published:’My prerogative’ ‘The Three Generations’
- THE QUILTERS UK spring 2012 magazine-Published article on ‘Indigo Narratives’ series
- 2011 Review INDIGO by Alexndera chang Art curator, director A/P/A Institute NYU (Download PDF)
- Interviewed by Kathryn Myers, University of Connecticut A video project ‘Regarding India: Indian contemporary artists’
- Batet, Janet. “Redescubriendo la ruta del indigo.” El Nuevo Herald, 22, May 2011. Turner, Elisa. Critics Choice Elisa Turner’s Picks for May 2011. ArtCircuits.com, May 2011. “City-Based artist’s exhibition to open in Florida now” The Times of India 7, May, 2011.
- 2010 Interview by TV Decatur US – Illinios stories by Mark MC Donald ‘the spirit of india’
- Press Release -ArtXchange Gallery Seattle WA USA Artists and its Arts’
- First City – New Delhi March issue 2010
- Bultalia Anamika ‘Home impressions’ Business Today, March 2010 “Historic Moments”, New Woman, Mumbai, February, 2010. 29. Gupta, Gargi.
- “A Common Thread.” Business Standard. 16, January, 2010: Weekend Edition V.
- http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/a-common-thread/382766/DNA.Mumbai “ART OF THE WEEK”
- Colours of History, January 16,2010.10, Mumbai Samachar,Sunday,17 January 2010. Doshi, Riddhi.
- “A Creative Struggle.” DNA After Hrs, Mumbai. 13, January 2010. http://www.dnaindia.com/lifestyle/report_a-creative-struggle_1333944
- HT Café. 13 January, 2010. 23.
- Divya Bhaskar. 11 January, 2010.
- Goel, Poonam. “Indigo Blues.” Deccan Herald. 7 January, 2010:
- Mixed Media 4 http://www.deccanherald.com/content/44486/indigo-blues.html
- Verghis, Shana Maria. “Indigo Smorgasbord.” The Pioneer 29, December 2009.
- Viva City: 14. “Artistic Twosome.” The Asian Age. 29, December, 2009. The Age Delhi: 34. All India Radio. 27, December, 2009. Chattopadhyay, Sohini. “Azure Allure”Open Magazine. 1, January, 2010: 56-57
- Yee, Michelle. “Moving Materials: Reclaiming Histories of Migration.” ArtEtc. Magazine. Special Issue on Migration. Vol. 1 No. 3. 2010. “Historic Moments.” New Woman, Mumbai, February, 2010. 29.
- “New art Exhibit to hit CSUF.” Daily Titan: Beyond the Press Cal State Fullerton, 24, January, 2010
- Gupta, Gargi. “A Common Thread.” Business Standard. 16, Jan, 2010: Weekend Edition
- V. Doshi, Riddhi. “A Creative Struggle.” DNA After Hrs, Mumbai. 13, Jan 2010.
- HT Café. 13 January, 2010. 23. Divya Bhaskar. 11 January, 2010.
- Goel, Poonam. “Indigo Blues.” Deccan Herald. 7 January, 2010: Mixed Media 4
- “Indigo Smorgasbord.” The Pioneer 29, December 2009. Viva City: 14. “Artistic Twosome.” The Asian Age. 29, December, 2009.
- The Age Delhi: 34. All India Radio, 27, December, 2009.
- “Artyfacts.” India Today. 28, December 2009: Home/Events 68
- “Many colours of art.” Business Standard. 26 December 26, 2009: Weekend 5 “Indigo.” The Times of India. 25 December, 2009:
- What’s Hot 28 Installed”, Mid-day. 23, December, 2009:
- Kalra, Vandana. “Blue Print.” Indian Express. December 2009:
- “Indigo.” The Economic Times. 20, December 2009: Indian Contemporary Art Blog Posting December 21, 2009:
- Indian Art News Blog Posting December 20, 2009:
- “Indigo”Financial Express. 20, December 2009:
- Multimedia 8 “Beyond Blue Jeans.” Hindustan Times. Dec. 18, 2009:
- Fashion and Beauty “Redefine.” Mail Today – News for the New Indian. 18 December, 2009:
- City Guide Delhi recommendation “Art, Drama, Entertainment and More.”
- Good Housekeeping. December 2009: 166 “Colonial Hues.”,
- Design Today. December 2009:
- “Indigo: New works by Shelly Jyoti and Laura Kina.” First City, Delhi’s City Magazine. December 2009:228-229
- Swapna vora. ‘Shelly Jyoti and Mithila: The joy of decoration’ www.asianart.com/articles/vora/shelly/index.html 2009
- Meghna Sharma. ‘The expressions’, TV Interview – Lok sabha channel,2009, New Delhi
- Swati Mathur. ‘Thread of Heritage’, India Today, Oct 13 Priya malhotra, ‘Interweaving: The art of Shelly Jyoti’
- Georgina Maddox. ‘Shelly Jyoti contemporises Mithila painting’, Forward block, Indian Express Mumbai, Oct 07, 2008
- Delhi events interview by Rohit Malik
- Jhony ML Lyrical Abstractions: A Room of/for the Muses
- The Alchemist Volume 65, Number 1 Jan.2008 Cover art www.articlearchives.com
- Supriya Sharma, Fashionable canvases The Hindu 2007 New Delhi
- TV interview – India Times, News Time, New Delhi 2007
- Mamta Banga ‘Wear this art if you wish’ The Hindustan Times, New Delhi, 2007 March
- 2004‘For this artist, its all in the eyes’ Pastels Inks & Drawings’, Indian Express Baroda Nov. 7,2004
- 2000 Avinash Kamath ‘Designers paints new women’ Indian express /viva city, Baroda. Jan 13,2000
- Amita Pratap Shah ‘The evolution of women’, Baroda Times, Jan 2000
- 1999 Monal Jayraam:Millennium Women, Indian express 29 Dec. 1999
- Supporting Azrakh Textile artisans
- Art for Adult Autism